Following trending topics is a great way to stay relevant in the sea of social media, however it’s important to know when and where to talk about them.
If you want to get more out of your social media account, you will need to get into what people are talking about right now. Trending topics are the topics that people are currently searching for in droves, and at times, might even make it to the watercooler. At times, trending topics can be predictable. At other times, it can be more difficult to figure out what’s hot in the world today. Here’s what you need to know about trending topics.
- Trending topics differ for different demographics. Different people will be interested in different things. For example, a 16 year old girl will likely not be too interested in the Greek financial crisis, but she would probably go nuts to find out the latest scoop on Zayn Malik. Know the demographic that you’re trying to target, and use some common sense.
- Trending topics might also differ for various platform. Here’s where it gets interesting: what is hot on Twitter might not be hot on Facebook. That being said, what is hot on one will still be somewhat “warm” on the other.
- More often than not, trending topics have something to do with current events. The reason that they are trending right then and there is because something sparked people to talk about it. A simple glance at major news site pages will give you a good idea of what people want to discuss, why it impacts them, and how to benefit from it.
- Twitter has a trending topics option which allows you to see what’s trending, and Facebook does, too. This can help you target your posts, read up on what people want to discuss, and also put together a more effective marketing campaign. A little research goes a long way!
- When talking about trending topics, use some common sense. If the trending topic is a national tragedy, do not make the foolish mistake of having an upbeat post or trying to promote yourself during that tragedy. This mistake has wrecked other companies’ public reputations, don’t make the same issue happen to you.
- Let your writing style fit your audience. Getting into the trending topics is a good start, but there’s still a certain need to cater to your audience. Use a tone of voice that would appeal to your audience. For example, if you’re trying to get a better grip on older Gen Xers, you may want to keep things a bit more formal than if you were dealing with a teenage market.
- News is good. Talking about news is a great way to get a good amount of views on a trending topic. Even if it’s regurgitated news, putting your own spin on it will make it fresh and interesting to readers.
Trending topics can be a very good tool to grab the attention of our market. By keeping an eye on what’s going on in the world, what’s hot on forums, and what people are searching for, you get more views and also get a lot more traffic.