Scenario: Have you ever walked past a storefront and something grabs your attention from the display window? Or, how about flipping through a magazine and suddenly you stop on a page that caught your eye? If you answered ‘YES’ to any of these scenarios, then you just encountered a graphic design element that worked!
What is Graphic Design?
You might be thinking, ‘Well graphic design is nice, but it’s just a pretty picture’. However, did you know that most consumers remember pictures better than they do with words alone? 93% of our communications is done non-verbally. Also, 60% of the population are visual learners. That is over 50% that rely on visuals daily!
Graphic Design is the craft to create visual concepts, using computer software or by hand, to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate consumers. As the world matures and grows, so does graphic design. You can find it in your smartphones, to voice-, gestures, and sensor-activated devices. Designers actively connect us with information, services through digital technology, and to the digital world we live in. Today’s design work focuses on that digital world and people’s experiences and the role that technology plays in their everyday lives.
Types of Graphic Design:
There are many different types of graphic design out in the world today. To illustrate, here are a few to understand:
- Visual Identity: the visual that evokes a certain feeling and experience with a business’s brand.
- Ex: logo, fonts, brand color palette
- Marketing & Advertising: the visual based on people’s wants, needs, awareness and satisfaction about a product, service or brand.
- Ex: postcards, magazine ads, social media ads, banners, email marketing templates, billboards
- User Interface (UI): the visual element that makes a product or digital experience simple and efficient for its user.
- Ex: phone apps, tablets, web page design, game interface
- Motion: graphics that are in motion, which can include animation, audio, typography, imagery, video and other effects.
- Ex: animated logo, advertisements, GIFs, tutorial videos, trailers
Remember the storefront mentioned at the introductory of this blog? You must look at your company as that display window. Your company needs to shine the best whether you will need a catchy memorable logo, an ascetically pleasing layout, a brand color palette, or a professional font that will make your clients stop and take notice to you. Draw them in with the visuals and with great graphic design you will be able to do just that.
Finding what type of graphic design works for your company is hard and takes a lot of research and time. We understand that this might be a daunting task, so if you need more assistance or have questions about graphic design and how it can improve your company, the nerds at #TechStarters can assist you.