Social media has been around for quite some time. It’s a great tool that can help you learn more about your customer base and make potential clients aware of your company’s existence, leading to an increase in traffic to your website. Companies across the globe use social media platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook, as a gateway to connect with their audience. According to HubSpot, 92% of marketers surveyed stated that social media played a huge role in increasing their business awareness in 2014. Social media has a steep learning curve that may seem intimidating to most, but fear not, with the right amount of patience and guidance, you too will perfect the art of social media. Here are 7 essentials for your social accounts:
- Engagement. Get to know your audience, let them know you care about what they have to say by liking their posts, answering their questions, or replying to tweets. Your audience wants to know that you’re using social media to interact with them instead of just advertising your business. Get engagement by being engaged.
- Quality vs. Quantity. Rather than posting up filler content just to generate buzz, create content that will entice your audience. Research the demographic and psychographic characteristics of your target audience to make sure that your posts are informative, creative, and relevant to your company.
- Trending Subjects. Understand trending topics and talking about what’s relevant that minute/hour/day is a great way to get involved in social media. There are numerous free tools that will show you all the hot topics at the moment. Remember to only talk about subjects somewhat relevant to your business or industry. You can also post fun and interesting ones.
- Use #Hashtags. Using hashtags help people find your content organically. On many social platforms, hashtags are heavily weighted when people are organically searching for topics they’re interested in, which goes hand-in-hand with step 3. You can hashtag the trending topics to maximize the potential of your post. Also, it’s very important to research the context of trending hashtags before using them in your own posts. Carelessly using hashtags inappropriately in certain situations can cause a major PR nightmares.
- Experiment. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Use multiple social media sites to release your content. Conduct an A/B Test, using multiple social media platforms and seeing which one performs better. Come up with multiple approaches for releasing your content and don’t be afraid to get creative and experiment with new ideas.
- Measurable Results. How do you determine if your social media strategy is working? There are 5 core metrics that are crucial when measuring the effectiveness of your content. Using these free tools available will help you measure the success of your campaign. However, it’s not just about numbers, but what you learn from the results. Analyze patterns & generate ideas. How do those numbers help you grow your customer base? What worked and what didn’t?
- Share. Don’t be afraid to like, share, or comment on someone else’s post. It’s counter-intuitive to think that liking another post yields no benefits for you. You can’t be selfish when it comes to sharing and commenting on other people’s content, especially if you want them to do the same for you.
In the end, it’s not about popularity or getting a million followers overnight. It’s about using social media as a foundation for expanding your business and establishing an online presence. Which of these steps are essential to you? Are there any steps that you would like to add? Please share and let us know below!
“Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success”