Your website will make or break your ability to get sales online. It will be, without a doubt, one of the first impressions that will help people make a decision on whether or not they should buy from your company. It’s seriously important, but it’s often one of the marketing tools that backfire solely due to major mistakes made by business owners and web designers. These are the 5 common website design mistakes you should avoid
- Never assume that “busy” equals good. In design, too much junk can be hard on the eyes. Whitespace is your friend, and you should how to make something look nice. If it looks too busy, you’re doing it wrong.
- You used music or video that automatically starts as soon as you open the page. Believe it or not, this is actually one of the biggest pet peeves of Internet users. Who wants to hear random music blasting out of their computer when they are just trying to shop for a pair of shoes? It’s even worse if it happens at work since it can actually get your visitors in trouble. Don’t do it.
- It’s Web 2.0 at its worst. There is something to be said about having a nicely designed site that actually looks like it’s from this decade. Sure, raw HTML may be easy for computers to load, but that doesn’t mean that it looks visually appealing. Similarly, things such as a marquee headline, classic 90’s fonts, and a web layout that was clearly made by a 12-year-old will not impress customers at all.
- You chose a “free” website or used a bad website template. “Free” websites get their money from advertising, and your customers don’t want to see ads. A bad, cheap-looking website template also makes you look cheap. Both of these mistakes often go hand in hand with one another, and they both have the ultimate issue of making you look cheap, unprofessional, and unsuccessful. You only have one shot to wow people with a site – splurge on it!
- The site is filled with visible errors or is just plain slow to load. Nothing is worse for a company’s image than a site that clearly has something wrong with it. It shows that you either don’t care that the site has an error, or that you don’t care about the user experience. People who go on a cruddy site will not recommend your site to a friend, nor will they want to visit again. Don’t do that to your company!
We really cannot emphasize how important it is to have a company site that really impresses people and makes them want to buy from you. Without an online presence, you could be missing out on potential customers. At Techstarters, with our background in web design as well as our team of web designers to can make sure your website is designed for your business and for the sake of business. So take our advice and be mindful of these common website design mistakes and you’ll be on your way to creating a killer site!